Monday, January 28, 2013

Feeding the Soul and the Belly

Tonight my pin came from my Church pinboard.

One thing that I really like about church is Visiting Teaching.  To me, being Visiting Teacher means being responsible to reach out to each other as sisters in Christ, to help and lift each other spiritually and temporally, to really live my religion.

We go in pairs, bringing something new to share - a treat, a new insight, a spiritual thought.  And some times we get new pairing and new ladies to visit which can really shake things up in a good way, and that's what just happened for me, so I'm pretty excited.

Plus, it's a great way for me to meet other ladies in the congregation that I might not know, share spiritual insights and ideas with others, to help out friends in need when they're sick, and, duh, visit!  I have made great friends this way, especially when I first move into a new place and don't know anyone or the local scene for things like, doctor referrals, or parks for play dates, or book clubs.

Each month The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has a new spiritual message for Visiting Teaching and Pinterest is full of cute printable handouts, like this pin.  This month is about sharing your testimony and missionary work.  One part of my testimony of Jesus Christ is that I know He cares for both our Spiritual and Physical well being, and that's what I want to share this month.

I used lds.org Scripture on-line search looking for my favorite story of Jesus feeding the thousands with loaves and fishes, and I found it:  Matthew 15:29-38.  This is my favorite telling of the story because after first feeding everyone spiritually, He feed everyone physically with leftovers to spare.  I printed out the story, made a loaf of homemade bread, and attached a personal message.

Some of the ladies I'm responsible for haven't been to church in a while, some don't invite me in the front door, that's okay.  I just want them to know that I care about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment