Saturday, March 9, 2013

Homemade Powdered Laundry Detergent

Looks like I've been baking, huh?  Nope!  My final stab at homemade laundry detergent and it's powdered this time.  On my Homemade or Natural Remedies pinboard there are like 4 different laundry detergent recipes, and after comparing them, I made my own recipe.  I used Zote laundry soap bars, because I was gifted them, but you can use Fels Naptha soap bars instead.  There seems to be a few online reviews that state that Fels Naptha soap made white loads turn dingy, but the ladies in my local area that use it have no problems.  *Positive reasons for using Fels Naptha: it is found in every Walmart and most groceries, and if for some reason your clothing comes in contact with poison oak, ivy, or sumac Fels Naptha is one of the few soaps that can remove the irritating oils from fabric - normal detergent showed that it took up to 18 months of normal washing to remove the oils!*  Zote is a Mexican laundry bar that comes in white or pink and is usually only sold in latin areas.  My Rancho Market carries them and they go on sale for $.50!  Also, in my laundry recipe there is no OxyClean, I did this because I like to add it to the loads that I think need it, I don't think that my towels need OxyClean.

Kristin's Powder Laundry Detergent

3 Zote bars, grated
1 box Washing Soda
1 large box Baking Soda
1 box Borax

Mix in a large container, try not to inhale any powder when you dump in the boxes.  To use: 2 Tablespoons per load, or 1/2 a scooper from your old laundry soap - you can place it in the normal soap dispenser in he or regular washing machines.

I don't know yet how much per load it will cost, I'm keeping track, but this is what my batch cost me:

3 Zote bars ($1.50)  free
Washing Soda         $3.24
Baking Soda            $2.24
Borax                       $3.38

Total: $8.86

It made a ton!  I am using this cute IKEA bin to hold it all, and keep a little fork/spatula thingy to stir when needed.


No comments:

Post a Comment