Monday, March 25, 2013

End Nagging and Negotiating in 3 Words!

In case you can't tell, my kid is frickin' adorable.  There, I've said it.  Inside and out, she is golden and I know that while the Mister and I have put in a lot of work, her little personality is largely responsible for her awesomeness.  She's 3.  I did mention 3 right?  As in the trying 3's?  Yes, and she questions every little thing!  It's not even begging or whining really, just parroting everything all the time.  We try to be very patient, and explain, but honestly, sometimes I think she does it just to talk.  It's difficult at times.

So when I came across the pin End Nagging and Negotiating with 3 Simple Words I was intrigued and read the article from Positive Parenting Solutions.  I found that I could apply this technique to our little parrot who doesn't always wait and listen for the answers to her questions.

Basically when a child asks a repeated question, the parent asks "Did you ask_____?", the child answers, "yes", and then the parent asks "Were you answered?", and the child answers, "yes", and the parent can then just say "Asked and Answered" and that's the end!  If the question is asked again, all the parent needs to say is, "Asked and Answered."  It worked!

The writer said that it is important to: not change your answer, and to make it a family thing (both spouses).  This technique is supposed to work from toddler to teen and is very effective with children with autism, as it helps focus a line of thought.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I'm TOTALLY gonna try this. My 4.5 year old has been nagging and negotiating sooooooo much lately, it's driving me crazy. Can't wait to try it tomorrow! Thank you, darling!!

    ReplyDelete