Sunday, March 17, 2013

Homemade Dry Onion Soup Mix

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!  Aren't my lucky charms cute?
No pinches today!
I was making stew for our St. Patty's dinner, when I realized that I was out of dry onion soup mix.  Sucks!  Shopping on Sundays is an emergency situation only, like coming home from vacation and having no food, being on vacation on the road with no food, or medical emergencies needing a pharmacy.  So, thank you internet!

Homemade Dry Onion Soup Mix is 4 basic ingredients that most pantries already have, and is very inexpensive, seriously, I'm never buying the little pouches again!  This mix can last 6 months in an airtight container, so make some and you'll be set!  This is my version, adapted from food.com:
1 cube = 1 teaspoon bouillon granules



Dry Onion Soup Mix
makes 1 pouch

  • 4 beef bouillon cubes, crushed (4 teaspoons granules)
  • 8 teaspoons dried onion flakes, or dried minced onion
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper (the original recipe calls for 'seasoned pepper' but this worked just fine)
***Sorry to be a bit late, but I'll be making this wreath for my March Wreath of the Month!***


1 comment:

  1. This is great! Thanks:) I always need this mix too...It will be nice to make my own.

    ReplyDelete