Sunday, February 3, 2013

Kimmy's Laundry Detergent

Part of my New Year's Resolution was to go green or natural when possible, I've already made the switch to using Orange Vinegar Cleaner and I just ran out of my laundry detergent.  In my Homemade or Natural Remedies pinboard there are a few options for homemade laundry detergent recipes, but I am very fortunate, my dear friend Kimmy gave me a sample of her own tried and true recipe!  So I won't have to make my detergent batch quite yet, I'll use up my sample and if my family ok's it, I'll just use her recipe.  Several families at church now use this detergent for it's cost effectiveness and it's cleaning power - Kimmy does professional catering and swears that this stuff gets out all kinds of kitchen and food spots.

Looks pretty, huh?
Kimmy's Laundry Detergent

  • 4 lbs. box of Borax
  • 4 lbs. box of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
  • 1 box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
  • 3 bars Fels-Naptha Soap, grated
  • 2 small containers Oxy Clean
  • 1 bottle Downy Fragrance Beads

***Oxy Clean and Downy is optional***

To use:

  • Add 1 Tablespoon for small and medium loads, add 2 Tablespoons for large or extra large loads.
  • Pour powder directly on top of wash.
  • Safe for he washers or regular because it is low sudsing. 

Total cost for each batch, including optional ingredients: $37.00!  My friend Angela uses this detergent, for her family of six, doing at least one load of laundry a day, has reported that her batch lasts at least 10 months!  $3.70 or less a month for laundry soap!

I personally feel that if you make your own laundry detergent, powdered is the way to go, just so you don't have to do so much work and it lasts a great long time.  Plus it doesn't take up as much room as bottles of liquid detergent.

*On a related note:  instead of using Shout or Resolve, you can damping the stain and then rub a bar of Fels-Naptha soap into it.

*Fels-Naptha soap may be switched for Zote.

No comments:

Post a Comment