Thursday, February 7, 2013

How to Freeze Avocados & Frozen Yogurt Covered Strawberries

This post really is for Thursday, Feb. 7th - I just couldn't get to my laptop any sooner.

My first pin, How to Freeze Avocados, comes from my For the Home pinboard.  When avocados go on sale, buy a bunch, store them in your pantry until they are ripe, they will give slightly under pressure, and then freeze them for later.  I got mine for 25 cents each, gotta love the latin markets!  I use them for fresh baby food, and when the dolly is done with avocado flavor, I freeze any remaining for later.  It's easy: wash and cut the avocado in half lengthwise, remove pit, wrap in plastic wrap, and put in a freezer bag.  They last in the freezer up to 6 months.  If you are picky about the bright green color, treat your avocado with lemon juice before wrapping and freezing.

***Note:  with freezing food, unless it is a thick glass or plastic container, always have at least 2 layers between your food and the freezer!

My second pin, Frozen Yogurt Covered Strawberries, comes from my New Recipes to Try pinboard.  I got a few pounds of strawberries and decided to make some of these yummy treats for Valentine's Day.
They turned out pretty nice, really cold to eat, but tasty!  I had to sample one, give me some slack.  I live in Utah and strawberries are out of season, so I added a sugar topping to mine, it's optional and made them a tiny bit sticky, but it tasted better.  After experimenting with a few batches here's the easiest way to make these:
  1. Wash and quick freeze your berries on a cookie sheet
  2. Dip your frozen berries into a thick vanilla yogurt
  3. Act quickly and sprinkle white sugar to coat
  4. On a wax paper lined cookie sheet, refreeze
  5. After an hour or so, they can be bagged and saved for later
A couple of tips:  Pat your berries dry, assembly line your dipping to cookie sheet, and double bag your berries for their long term trip to the freezer.  And of course, work as quickly as possible!


No comments:

Post a Comment